The majority of construction projects will, at some point, require drilling and with many types of drilling available, it’s important to find the right method for your particular project. Diamond drilling is widely appreciated in the industry for its precision, cost-efficiency and its ability to be used in a plethora of different situations. But what is it about this method that makes it so special, and what is diamond drilling used for?
What is diamond drilling?
Diamond drilling is a type of core drilling and consists of a motorised power source with a diamond drill bit attached. Boasting a status as the hardest naturally occurring material in existence, diamond can cut openings in a range of materials, such as concrete, metal and glass. And unlike other types of steel drilling, which tend to be percussive, the non-percussive nature of diamond drilling gives it a great ability to be precise, which is a sought-after quality for many projects.
What is it used for?
Diamond drilling can be used for many situations, and especially when precise holes are required. Because the drill can be calibrated to cut holes of a huge range of sizes and depths, diamond drilling is very flexible in its application and can be used in ventures both big and small. And because it is non-percussive, it is also favoured for projects where structural integrity needs to be maintained.
Some of the uses for diamond drilling, include;
- Creating large openings for ducts or plumbing tunnels
- Drilling small holes for wiring or piping
- Forming holes for bolt placement
- Core/mineral extraction for analysis purposes
- Large construction projects, such as subways
- Archaeological purposes to extract delicate artifacts
What are the benefits of diamond drilling?
Diamond drilling can offer many benefits to contractors, including:
- The equipment used is generally lightweight and portable, making it easy to manoeuvre.
- The drill runs water through the shaft, dampening the workspace and preventing too much dust and debris from being produced.
- Quieter than other forms of drilling, it’s ideal when you don’t want to disturb the neighbours.
- Contractors can achieve excellent precision and accuracy, and are able to drill clean holes of almost any width and depth, giving this method the flexibility to be used in many applications.
- Its efficiency makes diamond drilling a more cost-efficient option.
If you’re searching for expert diamond drilling contractors, then look no further than Drilltec Diamond Drilling. Working from our Luton base, our company offers a range of specialist services through the South East of England, including diamond drilling and diamond concrete sawing. To find out more about our services, please get in touch and our team will be happy to answer all enquiries.